The Wally-Waste-Not Award Program for Schools
Salinas Valley Recycles (SVR) has assisted more than 60 schools in our service area in implementing comprehensive school-wide recycling programs. These efforts are in response to Salinas Valley Recycles’ goal of 75% waste diversion from landfills, the passage of AB 341 mandating recycling for commercial customers who generate 4 or more cubic yards of garbage per week, and AB 1826 and SB 1383 organics recycling laws.
Our first Wally-Waste-Not Award Program was launched in January 2015 and since then, SVR has awarded 60 schools with over $97,000 in funding.
Here are some school activities highlights from the 2019 award recipients:
- Alisal High School established hydration stations around campus to reduce plastic water bottles.
- Cesar Chavez and Jesse Sanchez school use reusable trays for all the meals served at the school instead of disposables.
- Gabilan Head Start set-up a worm bin to reduce food waste and uses reusable dishware for all of the meals instead of disposables.
- Soledad Head Start Center installed new recycling bins to upgrade the recycling program and uses reusable dishware for all the meals instead of disposables.
- La Paz Start Center uses reusable dishware for all of the meals instead of disposables.
- Salinas Child Development Center uses reusable dishware for all of the meals instead of disposables
- Rancho Cielo Silver Start Youth Program set-up two worm bin systems to divert food waste.
- Palma School installed outdoor recycling stations.
- Elkhorn Elementary School implemented a school-wide recycling program.
- San Lucas School uses reusable cups for water instead of disposable
- San Jerardo Head Start Center set up a worm bin to divert food waste and uses reusable dishware for all the meals instead of disposables.
2020 Wally-Waste-Not Award Program: (Application will open on Tuesday, September 3rd)
The 2020 Wally-Waste-Not Award Program (WWNAP) will reward 10 schools in the Salinas Valley for improving and implementing diversion programs (reducing, reusing, recycling and composting (rot)). This award supplements the FREE outreach services Salinas Valley Recycles and the local garbage and recycling haulers already provide to all schools in the Salinas Valley.
- Instructions and 5R’s Activity Forms:Award Instructions and 5Rs Activity Forms
- PowerPoint to Record Completed Activities:Wally-Waste-Not PowerPoint -WWNPP
- Ending Garbage & Recycling Service Level: Ending Garbage and Recycling Service