The Wally-Waste-Not Award Program for Schools
Salinas Valley Recycles (SVR) has assisted more than 60 schools in our service area in implementing comprehensive school-wide recycling programs. These efforts are in response to Salinas Valley Recycles’ goal of 75% waste diversion from landfills, the passage of AB 341 mandating recycling for commercial customers who generate 4 or more cubic yards of garbage per week, and the new mandatory organics recycling law (AB 1826).
Our first Wally-Waste-Not Award Program was launched in January 2015 and since then, SVR has awarded 48 schools with over $73,000 in funding.
Here are some school activities highlights from the 2018 award recipients:
- Chualar School implemented milk waste diversion and food sharing table in the cafeteria.
- DIAS School gave reusable water bottle to all the students to use at the hydration station to reduce plastic water bottles.
- Frank Paul and Fremont Head Start Centers have switched from disposable ware to reusable dishware.
- Lincoln School has established 3 hydration stations around campus to reduce plastic water bottles.
- Santa Rita and New Republic Schools switched to reusable trays in the cafeteria.
- Notre Dame High School set up 3 hydration stations and so far, the school have saved approximately 11,000 single use plastic bottles.
- Oasis Charter School implemented many collection programs like E-Waste, batteries, glue sticks, markers, and worm bin to reduce waste.
- Santa Lucia School switched from polystyrene trays to cardboard trays.
- Echo Valley School set up a worm bin in one classroom.
2019 Wally-Waste-Not Award Program: (Application is now CLOSED)
The 2019 Wally-Waste-Not Award Program (WWNAP) will reward 10 schools in the Salinas Valley for improving and implementing diversion programs (reducing, reusing, recycling and composting (rot)). This award supplements the FREE outreach services Salinas Valley Recycles and the local garbage and recycling haulers already provide to all schools in the Salinas Valley.
- Instructions and 5R’s Activity Forms:Award Instructions and 5Rs Activity Forms
- PowerPoint to Record Completed Activities:Wally-Waste-Not PowerPoint -WWNPP
- Ending Garbage & Recycling Service Level: Ending Garbage and Recycling Service