Hazardous household products
Many household products contain chemicals that can harm your family and the environment. Some may be safe while in use, but can contaminate water and soil when improperly disposed of.
NEVER dispose of the following items in the garbage, sink or a storm drain:
- Aerosols (FULL Spray Cans)
- Antifreeze (and other Auto Products)
- Auto Batteries
- Batteries (Household)
- Cleaners (Bleach, Drain Openers, Toilet Cleaners)
- Cooking Oil/Grease
- Electronic Waste (TV’s, Computers, Cell Phones, etc.)
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs & Tubes
- Paint (Latex)
- Paint (Oil-based)
- Pesticides & Fertilizers and other Garden Chemicals
- Sharps (Needles or Syringes)
- Thermometers, Thermostats & Other Mercury Containing Items
- Thinners & Solvents
- Used Motor Oil & Filters
The above items* are accepted for free at the HHW facility from residential households in the Salinas Valley!
Important disposal information:
- Do not transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of HHW.
- Bring chemicals in secure containers and do not mix them!
- Do not bring explosives, radioactive material, drums, medical waste (sharps OK), or unstable chemicals
- Residential customers can drop-off acceptable items for no charge and no appointment is necessary
- Charges apply for commercially generated waste or agricultural waste. Certain limitations apply to small businesses. Please call for more information before visiting the facility
- Commercial customers must make appointment by calling the facility directly
Sun Street HHW Facility
139 Sun Street
Salinas, CA 93901
Phone: (831) 424-5520
Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday – Friday. (Closed Monday) 8:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday 8:00am – 4:00pm
Commercial customers must make appointment by calling the facility directly.
The HHW facility is closed on Sundays and the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Treated Wood Waste is Banned From Municipal Landfills
Starting January 1, 2021
Find Out More Here