Less Toxic Alternatives
Next time you consider buying or using a product with potentially harmful ingredients, take a moment to read the label and ask yourself:
“Do I really need to use this product? Is there a safer way I can do this?”
There may be less toxic alternatives that can help you do the job at hand just as well! Often you’ll also be able to save money.
Here are a few tips:
- Choose water-based latex paint instead of oil-based paint. You can even pick up free, recycled paint at our Household Hazardous Waste facility.
- Learn about less-toxic landscaping and pest control. If you have to use pesticides, buy the least toxic product and apply only where needed.
- Replace mercury-containing items with non-mercury containing alternatives, such as digital thermometers and mercury-free thermostats.
- Buy less-toxic all-purpose cleaners instead of specialty cleaners. Or try non-toxic alternatives: Create your own Non-Toxic Cleaning Recipes.
- Try refillable spray bottles instead of aerosol sprays.