In the Salinas Valley, holiday trees and greens can be recycled for free with your weekly curbside yard waste collection service. If you miss the opportunity for curbside collection or would rather not wait for your weekly pickup, Salinas Valley Recycles offers FREE tree recycling at all of our facilities through January 31st. Check out the schedules below for details.
Recycling your holiday tree is a GREAT way to help us work towards a future without landfills because they are composted and not landfilled. Whether you choose to recycle your tree at curbside or drop-off, the rules remain the same:
- Remove all decorations, tinsel and lights
- Remove plastic, metal or wooden stands
- No flocked trees are accepted
Recycling holiday trees properly is very important because non-organic items like decorations and lights cannot be composted and, if not removed, will result in the tree being buried in the landfill. Recycling clean holiday trees, wreaths and garland, as you would with your regular yard waste, reduces the amount of organic waste ending up in the landfill due to contamination. It can also help you avoid contamination fees from your waste hauler.
Curbside Pick-up Schedule:
For curbside collection service, place trees next to your yard waste cart on your regular collection day. Larger trees (5 ft. or greater) should be cut into 3-foot sections and placed in your yard waste cart.
- King City – December 26 – January 12
- Unincorporated Monterey County – December 26 – January 12
- Gonzales, Greenfield and Soledad – January 3-16
- Salinas – January 2-23
Drop-off Schedule: Saturday, December 26, 2017 through Sunday, January 31, 2018
For drop-off, simply drive in and drop off your tree at the designated tree recycling area at any of the facilities listed below. In exchange, receive a “Buy one, get one free” coupon for one cubic-yard of recycled mulch or wood chips from Vision Recycling!
- Sun Street Transfer Station – 139 Sun St., Salinas – M-F 7 AM-5 PM, Sat 8 AM-4 PM
- Johnson Canyon Landfill – 31400 Johnson Canyon Road (2.5 miles east of Gonzales) – M-F 8 AM-5 PM, Sat-Sun 8 AM-4 PM
- Jolon Road Transfer Station – 52654 Jolon Road (4 miles west of King City) – M-F 8 AM-4 PM, Sat 8 AM-12 PM